Sports Updates - September 29, 2023
By Lynn Mumbi
As University games begin, our ladies’ netball team, the Hurricanes had a match over the weekend against Kiriri Women’s University of Science and Technology;(KWUST). The team lost to KWUST with 44- 9 goals. It was such a painful start for the Hurricanes. The goals were scored by Stacey Deogratias, Victoria Sokale, and Angela Kaole.Photo: Esther Waikwa.
The USIU-Africa ladies’ hockey team, the USIU-Africa Spartans, had two games over the weekend. On Saturday at 2 p.m., they played against Amira Sailors Hockey Club at City Park Hockey Stadium. Our ladies narrowly lost to the opposing team with 2 goals to nil. It was the second game they have lost since the semester began. On Sunday, the Spartans faced off against St. Paul University Hockey team in the Kenya University games, beating them 7-1. Their goals were scored by, Natasha Wambui, Jasmine Mutakha, Faith Kimatwek, and Lynn Mwangi. It was a good start for our ladies.
The men’s hockey team, Team Mashujaa also had two games over the weekend. On Saturday, they played against Nairobi Simba Hockey Club (SIKH Union) at City Park Hockey Stadium, losing narrowly with 1 goal. The team started strong, fighting hard to beat their opponents. After a crazy fight, in the last two minutes, the opponents snuck into their circle and scored the winning goal which gave them the lead, ending the game 3-2. Lawrence Makhatsa and Robinson Omutekete scored Team Mashujaa’s goals.
The USIU-Africa Dolphins participated in the Level 1 Swimming Age Group Championship, which took place on September 23-24,2023 at Consolata School. The competition yielded the following commendable results:
- Daryl Anjichi: 50-Meter Backstroke: 1st Place (Gold) and the 100-Meter Breaststroke: 2nd Place (Silver)
- Kelsey Karanja: 50-Meter Butterfly: 2nd Place (Silver) and 100-Meter Freestyle: 1st Place (Gold)
- Tamara Kimeu: 100-Meter Freestyle: 3rd Place (Bronze)
- Heloise Morgen: 50-Meter Breaststroke: 2nd Place (Silver)
- Rooney Kabata: 50-Meter Freestyle: 2nd Place (Silver)
- 200-Meter Mixed Freestyle Relay: 3rd Place
- 200-Meter Medley Relay (Girls): 2nd Place (Silver)
- 200-Meter Medley Relay (Boys): 2nd Place (Silver)
- 200-Meter Freestyle Relay (Girls): 3rd Place (Bronze)
- 200-Meter Freestyle Relay (Boys): 2nd Place (Silver)
The Taekwondo team took part in an open tournament competition that took place at Nakuru. Both the men’s and ladies’ team came seventh with a total of eight medals. The team looks forward to winning upcoming tournaments.