Transfer of Credits

Transfer Credit in General Education

Undergraduate students transferring to USIU from approved institutions may meet some or all of the General Education requirements by presenting credits earned in baccalaureate transferable courses from such institutions with grades of C or better.

Grades Required for Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is accepted from accredited institutions only if the grade received is C or better. Credit may be accepted where a D grade was received under one of two conditions:

a next higher course in a sequence has been completed at another institution with a C grade or better (e.g., courses in mathematics, language); or

a higher course in a sequence is completed at USIU with a C grade or better.

Applicants to USIU must submit official transcripts of credit from all previously attended institutions. All grades earned at other accredited institutions will be used to compute the grade point average for admission purposes. The computed transfer credit grade point average from the other institution does not appear on the USIU permanent record.

Correspondence and Extension Courses

USIU does not offer correspondence courses and does not accept credit for such courses. Undergraduate university-level extension courses completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education can be accepted as transfer credits at USIU. The extension course must be similar in content to a regular course offered at the transferring institution and at USIU. The student must have received a grade of C or better in the course. No more than 23 trimester units of extension credits may be applied toward the undergraduate degree requirements at USIU.

Military Course Credit

The University is guided by the recommendations of The ACE (American Council on Education) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services regarding credit for Military Service toward the bachelor's degree. Transfer credit will be assessed on a course by course basis.

To obtain credit for military service, the student must have matriculated, be enrolled at the University, and submit Form DD-214 or DD-295.

Credit by Examination

A maximum of 30 units of examination credit from all sources will be accepted by the University. The last 36 units of course requirements may not be fulfilled by examination.

International Baccalaureate Diploma

USIU recognizes the academic challenge and motivation inherent in the International Baccalaureate Program. Such a program, satisfactorily completed, will virtually guarantee an applicant admission to USIU. In addition, the University will grant advanced placement of six trimester units for each higher level result of four, five, six, or seven up to a maximum of 30 units. Three trimester units will be granted for each subsidiary level passes. Where applicable, these units will be applied to the lower division academic requirements.

Advanced Placement Tests (AP)

Any student who has taken the College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Tests in a secondary school or high school and who has earned satisfactory scores (three or higher) can be credited with up to 30 units of coursework and/or be placed in advanced courses by the appropriate department.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Satisfactory scores on the General and Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) may entitle a student to receive up to 30 units of academic credit. The Enrollment Management Office can provide detailed information on the tests available, fee schedules, and testing dates. Scores should be sent to the Admissions Office for evaluation.

Variant Courses

Vocational or technical courses, remedial high school courses, and other courses below collegiate level are not accepted at USIU as transfer credits even if the courses were completed at an accredited institution of higher education.

Social Media