What is Metro AgriFood Living Lab?This is a unique research project supporting Kenya’s youth to actively engage in profitable agri-businesses. It is designed to identify and field test innovative business models for taking innovations to scale
The research uses the metropolitan living lab model to guide current and aspiring youth entrepreneurs in developing profitable agri-business enterprises in the fish and poultry sectors.
The living lab brings together a unique set of activities and services that create the needed synergy to support not only learning, but also innovation, business development and the creation of new knowledge. The Living Lab is the intersection of the following three components, Education & Training, Business Innovation & Action Research
What is the Benefit?
- Improved experiential learning of youth agri-food entrepreneurs.
- Provision of a platform for education, marketing, management, as well as industry, NGO and government linkages.
- By the end of the project life, 60 poultry and fish entrepreneurs (youths and especially women) drawn from all over Kenya will have been trained to adopt and actualize the project activities in the field.
An Invitation to Youth Entrepreneurs
Are you a young person agd 18 to 35? Do you have a business or business idea in the poultry and fisheries sector? If yes, we are looking for you. With support from the International Development Research Center (IDRC) and the Australian International Food Security Research Center (ACIAR), the United States International University - Africa GAME Center, in collaboration with Michigan State University (US), Licence to Grow (NL) and Van Hall Larensten University (NL), is looking for sixty (60) entrepreneurally-spirited young people (30 men and 30 women) who have agricultural or food business ideas that they want to develop into a real business.
Eligible candidates must:
- Be kenyan nationals/citizens residing in Kenya
- Be aged between 18 - 35 years
- have a minimum education qualification of Form Four - literate in English, spoken and written
- Have a business/business idea
- Have the potential to develop entrepreneural ability and passion to grow a business
Duration : Two-week intensive training program starting February 2016, and 6-Month business coaching and counselling for further assistance, including business plan development, market research and access to implementation resources.
Venue: GAME Center, USIU-Africa
Brochure: GAME Center Metro AgriFood Living Lab Brochure (pdf)
For more information, please contact:
The Program Manager
Global Agribusiness Management & Entrepreneurship Center, United States International University - Africa
Tel: +254 730 116 000/606, +254 707 892 499
P.O. Box 14634 - 00800 Nairobi, Kenya
Application forms can be downloaded below:
Application Form (pdf)
Applications to reach us by Friday 20th November, 2015
NB. Partial Scholarships are available