EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
Expression of interest for leasing the Coffee Shop inside the Freida Brown Student Center, United States International University-Africa
Ref No. USIU/EOI/01/2016-2017
BackgroundFreida Brown Student Center is an architectural master-piece infrastructure at the United States International University – Africa. This ultra-modern 4 storey building is home to the Health Center, Counseling Center, Innovation Center, Student Affairs offices, Academic Advising Services, hospitality teaching facilities, recreational facilities and the Coffee Shop.
The Coffee Shop is located at the ground floor and measures about 96 square meters with sitting capacity of 48. It is furnished with modern furniture, a counter with lockable cabinets and storage facilities. There is also provision of electric power, water and modern washrooms. The facility shall be open to the entire university community.
The United States International University–Africa now invites firms/companies with proven track records, qualification and experience in leasing and managing a Coffee Shop/Cafeteria or related facilities, to express their interest in leasing the Coffee Shop inside the Freida Brown Student Center, and thereby provide quality and efficient services to the University community.
The interested firms/companies shall provide the following information/documents in support of their competence, ability and sustainability;
- Firm’s management structure with relevance to restaurant management.
- Qualifications and experience of key staff and personnel involved in restaurant management, including their CVs., certificate of good conduct and health certificates (where applicable)
- Evidence of similar work in restaurant management from major clients in the last five years.
- Evidence of Certificate of Incorporation/Registration, PIN/ VAT Certificate, legal status of the company, Trading License, Business Single Permit, Certificates of membership to any industry associations or bodies, and contacts details (i.e. postal and physical address of the firm, telephone mobile number, facsimile telephone number, e-mail address, website, name of contact person - for purposes of clarification).
- Copies of audited financial statements for the last three (3) years.
- A brief description of quality assurance.
NB: Due diligence will be conducted on all documents submitted.
ObjectivesIt is expected that in managing the facility, the vendor will provide quality services by:
- Applying effective cost management;
- Putting in place an effective and efficient service delivery system;
- Maintaining cleanliness, providing and managing fire extinguishers and general maintenance services as appropriate;
- Creating an optimal work environment that allows maximum output;
Scope of the workThe different facilities and services intended by the University and to be provided by the bidder are mentioned below:
- Serves snack, pastries and beverages;
- Deployment of adequate manpower, materials, consumables etc. to run the Coffee Shop smoothly;
- Procure necessary permits, licenses from the Government required to run a Coffee shop;
- Arrangement of adequate furniture (where applicable), equipment, crockeries, consumables etc. required for smooth functioning of the Coffee Shop;
- The bidder will ensure the safety and proper custody of the property/structure/equipment of the University and will pay any loss or damage caused by him/her;
- Menu/recipe will have no liquor item;
- No design or structural changes of the interior /exterior of the Coffee Shop without the University’s approval;
- The successful bidder shall cater for related water and electricity bills;
- Sub leasing of the Coffee Shop after award of work/agreement will not be permitted;
- The Bidder/Contractor will be required to seek approval from the University before advertising anything related to the Coffee Shop in the media;
- The Lease rent fixed shall be deposited to the University Account as shall be stated in the contract terms;
- The bidder should have been operating in the hospitality sector for a minimum of 5 years (For the purposes of this EOI, hospitality would include experience in the service industry that includes dining/restaurant/hotel management and catering);
- The bidder should have past catering experience and should have been operating and managing a project of similar size and scale for the last 5 years;
- The bidder should have at least an annual turnover of KES 12,000,000 in the past three years;
- The bidder should have a demonstrable quality service record;
- Should have had past catering experience in a multi-cultural environment;
- Prior hospitality experience in the higher education sector will be an advantage;
Instruction to Bidders / Terms & ConditionsInterested bidders should note the following:
- This EOI invitation document is not a Tender or Request for Proposal in any form and would not be binding on the University in any manner whatsoever;
- The University reserves the right to cancel the EOI invitation as a whole or in part without assigning any reason;
- Bidders are encouraged to conduct their own independent survey, assessment, analysis and check for reliability, accuracy, feasibility and completeness before submission of their response.
- The Bidder should submit the response in the English language.
- The Bidder should submit the bid with supporting documents about their experience, qualification, annual turnover, e.t.c.
- The Bidder should be financially sound to operate the Coffee Shop - solvency evidence of KES 6,000,000 should be submitted with the bid.
Expression of Interest (EOI) clearly marked with the Ref number and clearly marked EOI for Leasing of Coffee Shop and no other markings, must be delivered on or before Thursday, January 5, 2017 to:
The Procurement Manager,
United States International University- Africa,
USIU Road, off Thika Road (Exit 7)
Expression of interest documents made in English must be placed inside the tender box at the reception area, Administration Building on or before the closing date. Opening will be done on the day thereafter in the Library Conference Room in the presence of tenderers, or their representatives, who choose to attend.
A minimum of 3 firms which fulfil the requirements as stated will be shortlisted under this procedure, and will be invited to submit their technical and financial proposals.
The United States Internal University –Africa reserves the right to accept or reject an EOI in whole or in part.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.