Dean - School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Job Summary: Reporting to the Associate DVC - Academic Affairs, the successful candidate will provide exemplary strategic leadership to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, which promotes excellence in undergraduate, graduate and doctoral education within a high quality working environment for faculty and staff.
- Leading and coordinating the development and implementation of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences strategic plan towards the achievement of the goals of the University’s strategic plan in a manner that promotes excellence in instruction, scholarly and creative productivity and service at the University.
- Providing strategic and visionary leadership and promoting inclusive governance to foster excellence in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and public service through robust engagement with faculty, staff, and students.
- Effectively representing the School of Humanities and Social Sciences in university-wide planning and budgetary processes and implementing university-wide policies and decisions at the school level.
- Promoting strong communication within the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, in the university, and with external constituencies.
- Developing and managing the budget and fiscal affairs of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, overseeing utilization of facilities, leading and encouraging fundraising to meet the School’s needs and goals of the departments and programs, and faculty and students.
- Cultivating and maintaining external engagements beneficial for student experiential learning and placement opportunities and faculty teaching and research, as well as in the outreach and public service efforts of the School.
- Managing the establishment, review, and assessment of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences academic and co-curricular programs to ensure continuous improvement of student learning and success, faculty teaching and scholarship, and institutional effectiveness.
- Overseeing the appointment of faculty and staff, Associate Deans, chairs of departments, and heads of centers and institutes in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, undertaking performance reviews of school administrators in consultation with faculty and staff, and overseeing processes of employee evaluation, training, and retention.
- Evaluating overall School productivity in instruction, research, and service responsibilities.
- Providing recommendations to the University administration regarding sabbaticals and other leaves for faculty and staff;
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Doctoral degree in any program offered by, or field relevant to the School from an accredited university.
- Rank of Professor in any one of the programs offered by the School.
- Management experience of at least three years as a head of a department, institute, or center in an accredited academic or research institution.
Skills and Competencies
- Analytical and quantitative skills
- Organizational skills
- Good inter-personal skills
- Good computer skills
- Management skills
- Administrative and leadership experience preferably in an accredited institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and develop relationships as well as partnerships within the University.
- Demonstrated strategic planning experience
- Documented experience with budgets and personnel management.
- Strategic decisions
- Tactical decisions
- Quality assurance
- Conflict resolution
If you had previously applied for any of the listed positions, please do not re-apply. Incumbents will be expected to continue upgrading their knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes and trends in higher education.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply. Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the address below by Friday, July 27, 2018
Director of Administration,
United States International University - Africa
P.O. Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya